Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Happy Birthday, Erica

Lucky me! While I've been staying with Erica and her family, I have been able to celebrate two birthdays--first Annika's, then Erica's. Erica's birthday fell on Easter day this year, which was also our church's general conference so it was an extra nice day. I remember that the year Erica was born, we brought her home from the hospital on Easter day, and we were listening to general conference on the car radio, so being with her this year under some of those same circumstances was a little nostalgic for me. Yes, nostalgic.

I held each of her newborn daughters numerous times that day and as I rocked them and looked at their beautiful faces I was transported back in time; I was holding Erica again--wondering. Wondering who she was, what she would do with her life, wondering whether we would be friends. As Annika ran around the house that same day hunting eggs, again I saw Erica--Annika is an exact copy of her mom, so it was a gift to be able to relive the past in a small way through watching her. I remembered the joy Erica was to her Dad and I at that same age, her optimism and curiosity, the way she made us see things anew.

Now, I look over at her, a grown woman, talented and intelligent, still full of optimism and curiosity, one of my best friends, and continually bringing her Dad and I joy. I watch her look into the eyes of her own children and wonder. . . and I smile. Happy Birthday Erica.

20100407_0172

20100404_0061

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I am so glad Erica has you there with her! That picture of the three girls is priceless. So glad you have this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, you are such a sweet mom. Someday I hope to be just like you! I love your posts and sometimes when I'm reading your blog I imagine that I am there with you! That's how captivating you and Erica's photos and posts are! How fun it must be to hang out with your daughter and grand-babies. I'm so glad that you're able to be there for a long stay....poor Brad, all that estrogen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a wonderful thing to hear from your mom. YOu did a wonderful job raising her! Both those pictures are fantastic. I'm definitely jealous ofthe photography going on in that house right now! Want to come stay at my house next? All 5 of you (well okay Brad can come to!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your blog. All the pictures are great. I am so glad that Erica has you with her to help out. I wish I could be there too.

    ReplyDelete